Major Changes

 I titled my blog “Major Changes” kind of as a joke, but it is also very true. I started this semester as an accounting major. I enjoy working with numbers and using past data to help a business make decisions. However, what I didn’t enjoy was how little room there was for creativity. When doing accounting there is only one answer and one little mistake can ruin everything. Talk about a lot of pressure!  So, after a lot of praying about which path I was feeling called to, I decided to change my major to marketing.

Switching from accounting to marketing seemed like a huge leap, however within marketing there is still a lot of opportunities to work with numbers. My goal is to combine what I learn from being a marketing major and social media minor and apply it to doing marketing analytics. Marketing analysts collect and interpret data to help companies develop and tweak marketing strategies.

I wasn’t too sure how many jobs are out there for marketing analysts, however with a little bit of research I found that the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects there to be an 18% increase in marketing analyst jobs between 2020 and 2029. So, although it was a little intimidating to make such a major change, I have no doubt that if I have a passion for marketing analytics, I will be able to find a job once I graduate. Sometimes making a major change is just what you need to lead you down the right path.

Comments

  1. That sounds so cool! Your passion for the creativity and your future leads you to change your major and it sounds awesome for me so I really respect you. I think changing your major which you took a lot of energy into shouldn’t be easy to decide, but you did a big decision for you and I believe the decision will bring you a lot of good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile! I love that you brought your trust in God to help your choice! I am a marketing major going into social media and event marketing. If you have any questions you would like me to answer please let me know! Also I graduate this spring so if you have questions about the field after I graduate I would happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maiya, I am a marketing major too so welcome to the club. I think you will enjoy it. I agree that accounting seems like a daunting task. I would be very nervous if I missed one number that I would ruin everything. I do not want or need that type of pressure in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts